Tuesday, August 21, 2018

A Visit to Ratnagiri Odisha


While sipping on the hot cup of tea on a Sunday morning , I asked my husband if there were any good  location to visit nearby Paradip. I was bored and exhausted and needed a mini few hours of change. Instantly he jumped with an option of visiting Ratnagiri  a heritage site. Though I am not a fan of such places but I do not have much option.
We checked on google map for direction and decided to explore it on the same day in the noon time. 

Ratnagiri is about 60 km from Paradip .Located  in the Jajpur district of Odisha, it  is known for  the excavation of Stupas, Monasteries and Votive Stupas. Historian says that these stupas might have been erected by the Guptas. The  site was discovered in 1905 and excavations was carried out in 1958 to 1961.

The village roads were extremely narrow and full of potholes. The cattle's were carelessly crossing roads . Google direction was working fine until we lost the signal.  Like a Pro desi we asked for direction and ended up late to the site.
Mini Hiking

Because of the monsoon the surroundings were green. 
After collecting our tickets from the ticket counter we headed   The road leads to  stairways and off to the site.  I was  upset seeing the stairs as I thought I would use the stroller for my baby. 


Towards the sight



The beautiful blue entrance to the monastery. 

Excavated Buddha's head of different sizes
Sanctum with a colossal Buddha figure

Votive Stupas


Sculpture  excavated in the 11th century.


The area was open and the heat of the sun was unbearable. By 4pm we started our journey towards home. There were other sites too Udayagiri and Lalitagiri but we didn't have time to visit the place.


Did you visit Paradip in Odisha? Do share what other places I can explore from their. Jungle might not be an option for me yet with a small baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chandaka Deras Nature Camp

দেরাস নেচার ক্যাম্প - চান্দাকা ওয়াইল্ডলাইফ স্যাঙ্কচুয়ারি বিস্তীর্ণ ঘন সবুজ অরণ্য, সুনীল জলরাশি, অদূরে ছোট পাহাড়, আকাশে টুকরো মেঘের আন...